Our analytical services are provided with the highest flexibility.
- We always assist our customers in the choice of the appropriate experimental conditions and the definition of the experimental plan that better suits their project.
- We prepare the samples, organize and perform the synchrotron X-Ray Powder Diffraction measurements, reprocess the data (i.e. angular calibration, flat field correction, normalization to the I0 current) and calibrate the synchrotron photon wavelength as well as the residual 2theta-zero-offset and sample displacement error.
ESS can be involved at three different levels, as summarized below:
Level I: Data collection and brief experimental report
If our customers wish to analyze the synchrotron XRPD data themselves:
- We deliver the synchrotron data ready to be analyzed
- A brief experimental report that details the experimental conditions under which the experiments were performed
Level II: Whole analytical service
If our customer opt for a whole analytical service by Excelsus, we analyze and interpret the synchrotron XRPD data ourselves according to a scheme defined during technical discussions that always precede the experiments:
- We start with a careful inspection of the data followed by the data analysis as agreed (e.g. qualitative trace analysis via phase identification, ab-initio indexation, structure solution and refinement, quantitative phase analysis).
- If the analysis has proceeded as expected, we draft a detailed experimental report and submit it to the company responsible scientist as base for a discussion. A scientific discussion follows after which a final scientific report is promptly generated and delivered according to the company specific needs. If necessary, additional analysis is performed at this stage.
- If the analysis has not proceeded as expected (e.g. unsuccessful indexation suggesting the coexistence of more than one phase, discovery of unexpected contamination by a second polymorph etc.), plots that summarize the results are generated and discussed during a face-to-face meeting or a teleconference. Results are discussed in the context of additional independent investigations eventually performed in parallel and a new plan-of-action together defined. These give-and-take discussions have proved being extremely fruitful in the majority of our projects.
Level III: Consulting work
ESS assists you in the design of your experiments through consulting work:
- Assistance for patent application, patent-life extension and patent litigations
- Pre-clinical selection of new compounds
- Technical development and life-cycle management of active pharmaceutical ingredients and formulated products
- Quality-by-Design development of pharmaceuticals
- Process validation and comparability studies
- Troubleshooting and discrepancy investigations during commercial manufacturing
- Assistance for counterfeit detection studies